Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Tips & Tricks to a Great Google Search
Limit your search to a specific site:
- Use site: (site with a colon) before the domain or website you wish to limit the search to
- site:.gov -- limit your search results to a specific domain like government websites (.gov)
- site:alvernia.edu -- limit your search to a specific website like Alvernia's (alvernia.edu)
Search for synonyms or related words:
- Use a ~ (tilde) before a term to search for any related words
- ~college -- will search for related words like higher education, university, institute, etc.
Search for an exact phrase:
- Use quotation marks around multiple words to search for an exact phrase
- "gun control"
- “to be or not to be”
Exclude a term from your search:
- Use the – (minus sign) before a word to exclude it from your results
- – depression – when added to a search this would eliminate results that mention depression
- social work –abuse –will search for social work but will eliminate any results that discuss abuse
Search within a date range:
- Use .. (two periods) to search for results within a specific time period
- 2008..2013 – returns results from within the 2008 to 2013 date range
Check out other Google short cuts here!
Additional Help with Google Searches
Test your Google Search Skills!
A Google a Day
Google's Version of trivia that tests your advanced search skills. The faster & more creative your searches, the better your score!
Looking for content to reuse or repurpose?
Want to use an image, text, or any other information you find online to edit or reuse?
Don't want to worry about copyright issues?
Utilize the usage rights option/field on the advanced search page of web and image searches!