The Alvernia University Dr. Frank A. Franco Library Learning Center staff provides comprehensive services for faculty and students both on and off campus. Professional librarians are available for research and information-seeking assistance during the hours that the library is open. The library is open 95 hours per week, with extended hours the week prior to exams.
Multiple options for research help include:
- in person at the research Help Desk
- scheduling a time to meet with a librarian
- calling the Help Desk at 610-796-5517
- contacting us by IM
- sending us an email using Ask A Librarian
- exploring the Library Guides and How to Guides
Logon tips for off campus access to library databases, Alvernia e-mail, Blackboard and Self-Service.
The library places print and electronic resources on Reserve as requested by faculty.
The library maintains memberships in several consortia to maximize the benefits of library cooperation. Alvernia faculty and students may borrow from 25 academic institutional members of the Associated College Libraries of Central Pennsylvania consortium. Membership in Lyrasis and the Online Computer Library Center benefits the library and its patrons by offering cooperative purchasing and interlibrary loan services.
Books, Journals and DVDs
The library collection includes over 90,000 physical items, consisting of books, videos, CDs, and curriculum materials. The library provides subscriptions to 150 current print serial titles. Over 3,500 audio visual items are held in the collection. Additionally, access to over 22,000 electronic books is available to Alvernia University faculty and students.
The library’s article database subscriptions provide access to over 90,000 electronic journal titles. Faculty and students can logon to article databases from off-campus.
Library Guides highlight the following types of library resources and services:
- Library services such as Hours, Library Staff, and Research Assistance
- Library tools and resources for a specific major i.e. Business, Behavioral Health
- Library tools and resources for a specific course i.e. Accounting, Education Law, Composition and Research
- Tutorials and videos on how to efficiently use library resources and complete academic assignments i.e.Citations, Grammar and Writing, Managing Research Results, Publishing Articles