Limit your search to a specific site:
- Use site: (site with a colon) before the domain or website you wish to limit the search to
- site:.gov -- limit your search results to a specific domain like government websites (.gov)
- site:alvernia.edu -- limit your search to a specific website like Alvernia's (alvernia.edu)
Search for synonyms or related words:
- Use a ~ (tilde) before a term to search for any related words
- ~college -- will search for related words like higher education, university, institute, etc.
Search for an exact phrase:
- Use quotation marks around multiple words to search for an exact phrase
- "gun control"
- “to be or not to be”
Exclude a term from your search:
- Use the – (minus sign) before a word to exclude it from your results
- – depression – when added to a search this would eliminate results that mention depression
- social work –abuse –will search for social work but will eliminate any results that discuss abuse
Search within a date range:
- Use .. (two periods) to search for results within a specific time period
- 2008..2013 – returns results from within the 2008 to 2013 date range
Check out other Google short cuts here!